We are Verbal+Visual.
We craft considered e-commerce experiences for thoughtful brands. Brands that put people and product over profit and pollution. Brands that boldly tell their story, build community, and empower artisans. Brands that believe in the power of the collective. Together, we make commerce that matters.
Verbal+Visual is seeking an experienced Lead Visual Designer.
You have launched websites, and e-commerce projects from discovery through deployment and understand how to concept and design digital product experiences across a range of client categories.
You are eager to lead conversations with both business stakeholders and internal stakeholders (Accounts, Strategy, UX, and Development) to understand what success should look like — and design a solution that meets these requirements.
In your role, you will report to the Creative Director, and to Associate Creative Directors. You’ll be expected to work independently but will have opportunities to supervise and grow the work of more junior colleagues.
- Own project documentation to ensure that your deliverables are relevant, inspiring, on time, and on budget, including: SOWs, Forecasted timelines, Project Plans, Creative Briefs
- Communicate perceived risks or blockers to Design Directors and across departments to ensure the project will run as smoothly as possible.
- Lead client calls and clearly and effectively communicate design intent, processes, and methodology for client stakeholders.
- Create and own all visual mockups expected for handoff to development.
- Oversee client Project Plans to ensure that documentation is reflective (1:1) with generated visual designs and prototypes.
- Inspire the client, as well as your team through innovative concepts and art direction.
- Ensure that best practices and standards of quality are met at every touch-point.
- Digest and respond to client feedback, when necessary, to discern what's important in order to deliver iterations that will exceed client expectations.
- Design QA and development support throughout the build.
- 5+ years of extensive digital commerce experience in a client facing, creative leadership role in a digital agency environment
- As a senior member of the team, we expect you to be very comfortable leading projects from kickoff to QA
- We expect you to be fully capable of stepping in for your creative director when they’re not in the room
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to connect strategy to creative work
- Effective mentorship of Associate Visual Designers
- Support and grow in the role by actively seeking out and proposing ideas to better improve company operations
- We expect you to be a clear delegator, feeling proud when your team delivers great work, but also being able to join the action, hands on, showing amazing crafting skills
- We expect you to start becoming a coach as much as a player
All team members receive a robust benefits package which includes the following:
- Health Insurance (partial coverage)
- Dental Insurance (full coverage)
- Vision (full coverage)
- Retirement Package With Company Matching
- 15 Total PTO Days
- Two Full-Team Mental Health Weeks with the Company Closed (one summer, one winter)
- Four & a half day work week (year round summer Fridays)
- Weekly Team Gatherings
- Bi-Annual Full Team Summits
- & Much More!
* As an inclusive work environment, a degree from an accredited university is not required to apply for this position. We value your abilities to perform the aforementioned job functions listed above as a primary indicator of your qualification for this role.
** We’re a remote-first, office optional company. Our office is located in Brooklyn, New York.
*** No unsolicited 3rd party recruiter submissions please!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, a minority & women owned certified business, the first ever carbon neutral certified e-commerce agency, and a New York City based organization.