Wish is a mobile e-commerce platform that flips traditional shopping on its head. We connect hundreds of millions of people with the widest selection of delightful, surprising, and—most importantly—affordable products delivered directly to their doors. Each day on Wish, millions of customers in more than 160 countries around the world discover new products. For our over 1 million merchant partners, anyone with a good idea and a mobile phone can instantly tap into a global market.
We're fueled by creating unique products and experiences that give people access to a new type of commerce, where all are welcome. If you’ve been searching for a supportive environment to chase your curiosity and use data to investigate the questions that matter most to you, this is the place.
About Design @ Wish
We’re a tight-knit design team whose culture is chill, fun, and inclusive. We recognize that auto-layout, the 8-pixel grid, and emojis are our friends, and use each of these regularly. Our virtual team bonding events include watching movies together, playing Telephone Pictionary, and holding a cocktail mixing workshop.
As a team of remote research-based designers, we leverage experiment results and insights to release new features and products that provide economic empowerment for 100 million users worldwide, and each designer has the opportunity to lead individual projects from ideation through execution.
At Wish, designers trust their instincts to ship often and early, blend their designs with analytical thinking to touch every aspect of the business, and practice a multidisciplinary approach to design simplicity into all of our products.
Wish is seeking an experienced Product Design Manager to help manage product designers and design leads on the consumer experience team. The Product Design Manager will help our squads realize our global vision and deliver best-in-class product experiences while ensuring that our products work together seamlessly.
Not located in the Bay Area? US, Canada, Europe, & Australia remote work is acceptable!
What The Product Design Manager Will Be Doing
- Manage and coach product designers. You are familiar with design career growth and can create opportunities for members of your team. Strike a balance between giving your designers space to flourish, while gently nudging them toward achieving their goals. Share constructive feedback on personal growth and technical execution during 1:1s and design critique.
- Grow the design team by identifying team needs and hiring top talent.
- Collaborate, influence, and negotiate with cross-functional stakeholders and executive management on critical matters of policy, operations, and product development process.
- Advocate for user experience, product consistency, and design excellence. Builds connection points across teams to provide visibility and insight.
- You’ll be working with product managers, designers, engineers, researchers, marketers, external partners, etc. Identify team needs and help guide the design team to develop appropriate processes and frameworks to drive team efficiency.
- Work closely with design leadership to ensure a cohesive user experience across all products.
- Represent and advocate for the team’s priorities during the development process, including release planning, user story grooming, and backlog management.
- Ensuring team members are creating high-quality work that delights our users, meets company objectives, and reinforces our brand across the product through useful feedback and critique.
You're a match for the Product Design Manager if:
- You are business-oriented with strong management experience and knowledge in design. You are product-driven and not afraid to make bold decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- You know how to hire excellent people. You're able to create the systems for you (and others) to evaluate and hire designers effectively.
- You set the bar high. You know what excellent craftsmanship looks like and how to help product teams ship at that quality with a balance of speed.
- You will advocate for our user-experience, product design consistency, brand voice, and design excellence.
- You have excitement for building team culture, hiring and promoting design education within the greater organization.
The Product Design Manager Has
- 8+ years experience in a fast-paced and dynamic design environment
- 3+ years managing design teams in the development of software products
- Consistent track record of coaching talented designers to achieve their best performance.
- Deep knowledge and applied experience in graphic design (layout, typography, colour).
- Willing to roll up your sleeves and perform a wide variety of research-related tasks, including conducting workshops
- A track record of leading design teams through successful product launches across iOS, Android, Web & Mobile Web.
- A diverse portfolio across web and mobile that reflect critical thinking and design excellence.
Wish values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive work environment. We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate based on any legally-protected class or characteristic. Employment decisions are made based on qualifications, merit, and business needs. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.