Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
We are looking for a Designer to join our new Brand Lab team. Reporting to the Design Director, Brand Lab, you will move between two primary areas of design: visual identity and future-oriented design ideation. In support of Toptal’s visual identity, you will help evolve, expand and document our visual system, as well as design tools and templates that will enable brand designers to achieve consistency across touch points. As a conceptual designer, you will help generate and render ideas for a wide range of future projects.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The Brand Lab is a Design team within the larger Brand Design team that focuses on two primary practice areas. First, the Brand Lab owns the Toptal visual language, maintaining the brand’s visual guidelines, providing templates and feedback to partners throughout the company, and importantly, making strategic recommendations for evolving, expanding or modifying the visual elements. Second, the Brand Lab helps the company imagine the future by delivering a continued cadence of innovative brand marketing prototypes that will set the tone for future work.
Working under the direction of the Design Director, Brand Lab:
- Evolve and document each element of the brand’s visual identity (fonts, colors, photography, etc.) with a focus on consistency and scalability across numerous touch points.
- Design and deliver templates, libraries and assets to be used by the Brand Design team and Product Design teams.
- Combine your understanding of Toptal’s business with your knowledge of design trends (design thinking, technology, branding) to come up with new design-based ideas for solving business challenges.
- Conduct research to stay on top of trends in design, technology, marketing and branding.
- Design and render prototypes that visualize new approaches to design. Prototypes will include a wide range of projects— from video storyboards and event graphics to landing pages and interactive experiences.
- Create presentations that bring new design concepts to life for internal audiences—varying from standard decks to presentations that tell compelling stories.
In The First Week, Expect To
- Learn the basics through Toptal’s thorough onboarding process.
- Study Toptal’s brand guidelines and visual language.
- Meet 1:1 with Designers on the team.
- Meet your colleagues on the Creative and Marketing teams.
In The First Month, Expect To
- Participate in brainstorming sessions focused on solving business challenges through design.
- Design templates for ongoing marketing tactics.
- Assist the Design Director to build mood-boards that convey compelling design approaches.
In The First Three Months, Expect To
- Render a prototype for a new type of landing page campaign.
- Scrutinize elements of our visual language and craft guidelines around their usage.
- Design our internal brand guidelines site.
In The First Year, Expect To
- Collaborate with Designers across Toptal in bringing to life a new design-led idea.
- Establish yourself as a key source of knowledge for the visual language.
- 3-5 years of recent agency or in-house experience in Branding Design or Visual Design.
- Portfolio that demonstrates a range of design skills and a passion for design thinking, especially as it relates to developing visual systems.
- Up-to-date on design trends; passion for thinking about the future of design.
- A deep understanding of the formal elements of design, including typography, layout, balance, color, photography usage, and proportion.
- Mastery of standard design tools (Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, etc).
- Bonus for expertise in 3D rendering.
- Four year degree in Graphic Design or related field.
- Fluent in English.
- Ability to work US East Coast time-zone hours.
- Outstanding presentation skills (in English).
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.