At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world start and grow their business. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform with over 1 million merchants in more than 175 different countries, with solutions from point-of-sale and online commerce to financial, shipping logistics and marketing.
Shopify’s mission is to make commerce better for everyone. From building a new product feature for our commerce platform, to helping a merchant troubleshoot an issue over the phone, we want to empower our ecosystem through our work. Having a unified vision, a north star, is vitally important to ensure that we are all headed in the same direction. No matter the size or experience, we want to power every merchant’s experience. This is why we’re all here.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations across Canada where Shopify is hiring. Learn more here.
Service Designers collaborate with other members of the Revenue Operations and Commercial Enablement team and our stakeholders at multiple points through a project's life cycle. From intake, to research, to exploring scale, the Service Design team helps everyone in a project better understand the opportunity in front of them and designs human centred experiences and solutions that make commerce better for everyone.
As a Service Design practitioner, you will look at the whole system, our desired outcomes, and help build solutions (products and services) that help humans navigate those systems in the most valuable way possible. We ensure that we are designing solutions that take into account the infrastructure and functional details and constraints as well as the holistic, end to end merchant experience.
We craft artifacts informed by our work within projects that help ensure ongoing alignment, support the launch of our designed solutions, and ensure we can all speak to the value we are creating with our designs.
Responsibilities And Duties
- Application of Service Design & UX methodologies and systems to our project and experiment process to ensure we are designing human centred solutions that aim to test our hypotheses or gather the information we need in order to iterate on an idea.
- Facilitate group sessions to explore things like problem identification, ideation, merchant journeys etc. in a space that is creative, collaborative and innovative.
- Crafting effective Service Blueprints, Journey Maps, and Systems Maps that adhere to the Shopify UX Design Values while aligning our project members and stakeholders.
- Create designs that help merchants become more successful through a deep understanding of merchants and Shopify systems.
- Ongoing relationship development across our stakeholders in order to understand the challenges they’re facing, the value they’re trying to create, and how Service Design can help bolster the work they’re doing on behalf of our merchants.
- Stay on top of Merchant and product research, the insights they produce, and the impact those findings may have on Support, our Go-To-Market Strategy, and our ability to create meaningful projects.
- Continue to develop the craft of Service Design, understand its relationship to UX, and help hone in on the ROCE team best practices.
- Experience working in Service Design, UX, or project oriented design work.
- A deep empathy and understanding of our merchants, and a desire to help reduce the gap between how they perceive Shopify as a tool and their business.
- Passionate about design thinking; including an understanding of the iterative design process, ex: research design, job stories, journey maps, ecosystem maps, service blueprints, prototyping, and user testing.
- Proficiency with current industry design and collaboration tools such as Miro, Figma, Github, etc.
- An understanding of the Support organization and experience working with folks across multiple disciplines to explore an idea or opportunity.
- A love of complexity, helping others understand it, and then bringing order to the chaos.
Along with your resume and cover letter, please and in the “Message to the Hiring Manager” section your answer to the below question:
- Tell me about your favourite small business.
Closing Date: This posting will close November 10, 2021 (or once we have received enough applications). You can expect to hear back from us within approximately 2-3 weeks after submitting your application.
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2020 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.