Shopify’s mission is to make commerce better for everyone. From building a new product feature for our commerce platform, to helping a merchant troubleshoot an issue over the phone, we want to empower our ecosystem through our work.
Shopify's UX team is hands-on and obsessed with enabling commerce at a global scale, with over 500 designers, content strategists, researchers, and developers working across the company. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations across the world where Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
We’re looking for a senior user experience leader to help us understand and explore our next set of challenges. We need someone capable of building opinions using research insights, data, and experience. Someone who is comfortable defining goals, direction and strategy, but also comfortable getting into the weeds and working hands on with their teams. At Shopify, leaders sketch too. They thrive on change and operate on trust, leveraging the diverse perspectives of the people on their team in everything they do. We’re fascinated by how you think, how you break down problems, and come up with solutions. We look for those who question, who are optimistic but never satisfied, and always seek to do better and make better. We love those who always want to deeply understand why people do things and how to improve.
As the Senior UX Manager for Merchant Services, you’ll be responsible for the overall experience quality for our set of products and workflows. You will work with multidisciplinary UX teams made up of product designers and content designers to deliver the best possible experience for our merchants around the world. You’ll work alongside product managers and engineering teams to explore, build, and launch your ideas.
You’ll Be Working On
- Leading UX for our Shipping Rating team, establishing clear definitions of quality to enable your team to ship exceptional user experiences on your projects.
- Working as a strategic partner with leadership in Engineering and Product Management to define the overall strategy and direction for the Rating group.
- Developing baseline knowledge in all our UX disciplines (Research, Design, Content Strategy, and UX Development) and deep expertise in everything shipping, carriers, delivery strategy related.
- Building new products around international requirements, to serve merchants in new ways on the Shopify platform. We need you to help us consider the breadth and depth of international challenges and provide simple, scalable experiences.
- Developing and shipping with speed and consistency. We have immediate needs to deliver on our product roadmap today, while setting the vision for tomorrow.
- Leading your teams through a fast-moving landscape while also providing growth opportunities.
- Building the right team to solve the complex and technical problems that our merchants face everyday.
- As a leader of leaders, you have built and led teams during your career. Your craft depth has allowed you to develop and mentor managers as well as build credibility with your team while executing broader UX strategies.
- Expert knowledge of the end-to-end iterative product design process, including how to develop and use personas, job stories, journey mapping, content modelling, wireframing and prototyping, user testing, and high fidelity visuals
- Deep experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes across design, content strategy, and research while working with cross-functional teams including development, and product management
- A deep empathy for the user and a desire to learn as much as possible about how they use Shopify on every platform
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills; you have the ability to help your team and stakeholders understand the “why” behind your design rationale
- Proven track record of shipping simple solutions to complex problems.
- Ability to set the right direction for the team, help them succeed in their craft as well as with the business impact.
Some of the Shopifolk you’ll be working with:
- Karolina Skali Skalska
- Tejas Mehta
More can be found at https://ux.shopify.com/
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Lauren is looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, taxonomies, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
Closing date: Sunday, October 24th at 11:59 PM EDT. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us by Friday, October 29th at 11:59 PM EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2020 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.