At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we work to change the way the world reads by building the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals, and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.5M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
What we’re looking for
Scribd is in search of a Senior Product Designer to join our design team as a full-time contractor where you’ll work on evolving and improving the experience for Scribd users and subscribers. You'll be partnering with cross-functional team members to help research, brainstorm, strategize, and deliver a top-notch product experience. You should be comfortable performing a full range of product design skills including user experience design, visual design, interaction design, product strategy, user research, and prototyping.
We pride ourselves on creating delightful experiences for our readers and are looking for someone who is passionate about user research, design, technology, and reading to raise the bar even higher.
What you will do
- Partner with product, data analytics, customer support, user research, QA, and engineering to identify requirements, use cases, and user journeys for Scribd’s professional products
- Spearhead design projects from brief, research, and concept exploration through prototyping, visual design details, motion design, and stewardship through development
- Use data collected from research, user testing, and market evaluation to create truly user-centric designs
- Plan and conduct user research and test prototypes to comprehend user needs and emotions and the resonance of our product — synthesizing the results to inspire empathy and bring clarity to the broader team
- Illustrate and communicate complex design solutions across use cases by creating process flows, wireframes, motion studies, prototypes, and high fidelity mock-ups
- Develop and maintain detailed design documentation & specifications for your work
- Work closely with engineers, stakeholders, and partners to ensure that the user experience is polished and as intended
- Use a variety of metrics to evaluate and continuously improve the user experience
- Regularly present your work to senior leaders for review and feedback
Full-time contract with three to six month terms.
- 4+ years of experience as a product designer with demonstrable proficiency owning the design process from early-stage ideation through high fidelity design to product ship
- Strong communication and presentation skills that allow you to communicate and advocate for complex design ideas clearly and persuasively, influencing peers and leaders
- Fluency in UX, visual and interactive design best practices along with a strong knowledge of usability fundamentals and techniques
- Experience participating in and conducting usability and qualitative studies
- Experience designing for iOS, Android, and web along with a basic working knowledge of HTML5, CSS3, and native mobile technologies
- A strong portfolio showcasing examples of information design skills and problem-solving applying the user-experience design methodology: concept sketches, interaction flows, prototypes, design specifications for development, and UI designs for web and mobile. Examples of visual and UI mastery, including methodology and production assets are encouraged.
- Proficiency with Figma (our primary tool) or Sketch and prototyping tools of your choosing
About our product & design team
The team at Scribd is one of a kind. We’re passionate and fun people who love the work we do. We pride ourselves on creating delightful experiences for our readers–on a mission to change the way the world reads. We work in a tight-knit environment, partnering closely with other teams to anticipate our readers’ wants and needs then deliver the solutions that keep the pages turning for our millions of active monthly users.
How we think about diversity
We believe the best products are built and designed by a diverse group of people. Scribd is dedicated to hiring a diverse workforce–our team should be as diverse as the people we design for. We welcome applications from people who are currently underrepresented in tech.
Benefits, Perks, and Wellbeing at Scribd
- Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
- Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans and milestone Sabbaticals
- Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
- Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
- Referral bonuses
- Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
- Company-wide Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion programs which include learning & development opportunities, employee resource groups, and hiring best practices.
- Learning & Development and Coaching programs
- Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
- Concern mental health digital platform
- Work-life balance flexibility
- Company events + Scribdchats
- Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.