The Meta Design Studio
The Meta Design Studio initiatives are at the forefront of creating and modernizing productivity experiences at Microsoft: from scaling the Fluent Design System to developing the next generation of collaboration with Loop or rethinking what a modern Microsoft 365 and Office experience looks and feels like, there’s amazing and forward-thinking work happening here.
Office Shared Design Team Product Designer II
With much of the world in quarantine due to COVID—there are new productivity problems to solve. It’s hard for most of us to keep up with the demands of home and work, or with the isolation of going days at a time only seeing other people via video conference. As part of the Office Shared design team in Meta Design Studio, your mission is to work closely with the Microsoft Loop design team on bringing new technologies and next-gen collaborative experience to enhance remote work with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint productivity apps and elevating them to new heights.
In this role, you’ll work in cross-app, cross-platform, interdisciplinary teams to re-imagine core productivity inside Microsoft 365—a service with 250+ million monthly active users. You’ll become an expert in our products’ framework and patterns, and develop a deep understanding for how apps and experiences connect. You’ll push boundaries because you believe in the magic of bold ideas. You’ll work as part of a community with diverse styles, voices, and views that reflect the diversity of our customers. You’ll nurture and evolve our culture. You’ll design in the open to move fast and build experiences without seams. You’ll share, jam, and contribute to other’s work to make it better. You’ll make to think, prototype to test.
We’ll provide you with unparalleled levels of opportunity and resources, with the goal of creating experiences that influence the industry, as well as people’s lives. Come create new possibilities with us!
You demonstrate solid UX skills and interaction patterns while creating forward-thinking designs that are scenario driven and meet business goals. Being hands on, you will support and design breakthrough experiences that impact how millions of people use our products and services.
- Deliver world-class design solutions from initial concept through finished product
- Incorporate system and framework thinking and pattern-matching into solutions to reinforce integrity of design system and product cohesion
- Champion platform expertise and domain knowledge in desktop and web apps, balancing innovations of platforms with the capabilities of the product
- Create and assess design solutions based on user research input, user goals, and business requirements
- Work closely and constructively with product management, visual and interaction designers, editors, engineers, and user researchers to iterate and deliver flawlessly
- Advocate for your design solutions by putting them in context of business, user goals, and ecosystem considerations
- Ability to travel for work occasionally
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- A portfolio with excellent craftmanship demonstrating well thought through and polished end to end customer journeys, design methodology, iteration, and systems-thinking solutions
- Excellent interpersonal communication and visual storytelling skills
- Awareness and aptitude to analyze and anticipate trends in cross-platform (web, Windows), communications, and collaboration
- Ability to create designs of various fidelity from highly polished design prototypes, mockups, and other communication artifacts
- Bachelor's Degree in Interactive Design, Visual Design, Industrial Design, Product Design, Human Computer Interaction, or related field AND 3+ years’ experience working in interactive design and/or visual design
- OR equivalent experience (e.g., experience using design thinking to solve problems).
- Mastery with Figma and UX design & prototyping tools or equivalent
- Designing user experiences for Windows and Web enterprise and personal software and services
- Creating and applying established design principles and interaction patterns
- Solving complex systematic integration problems and bringing existing users along on new experience
- Aligning or influencing design thinking with teams working in other geographies
- Experience using design components and pattern libraries
More about the Office Experience Organization’s Shared team (video)
Highlights Of What We’ve Been Up To Recently
Medium: The Future Vision of Microsoft 365
Medium: Behind the Design: Refreshing the Office Apps for Windows 11
Introducing Microsoft Loop
Trailer: Introducing Microsoft Loop
The Verge: Microsoft Loop is a new Office app for the hybrid work era
ZDNet: Microsoft introduces Loop: A new collaboration tool built on Fluid Framework
Engadget: Microsoft Loop is a new Office app built for collaborative work
Protocol: Meet Loop, Microsoft’s new Office-friendly app for project management and collaboration
Please include URLs for an online portfolio demonstrating your design process, UX flows, interaction patterns and visual design skills in addition to resume. Submissions without a portfolio included will not be considered.
#joinxc, #xcjobs, #opgjobs, #MDS, #Loop, #fluidframework, #office, #word, #excel, #powerpoint, #oxo, #oxoshared
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.