We're looking for a talented designer to join us to help define and design compelling experiences that empower teams to achieve more together. You'll have the opportunity to shape the direction of Video conferencing, Calling, and Devices for Microsoft Teams.
Our design team is a highly collaborative group of user researchers and product and visual designers. We value creativity, open idea sharing, and having fun while we work. Most of all, we’re motivated by our millions of users. We want them to love our products.
We are looking for a well-rounded interaction designer that can conceptualize the big picture as well as drive detailed design development for collaboration and communications user experiences. You should have a proven record of innovative thinking, a history of using design to drive new ideas and the ability to help others to make the right design decisions.
Candidates will work with other designers and PMs to create forward thinking designs that are user scenario driven and meet business goals. At the core of this job candidates will identify user centered design patterns, establish scenarios, place designs into user context and create interactions that align to those requirements. Candidates must be able to articulate their thinking using a variety of mediums from information diagrams, wireframe flows to detailed prototypes. You will need to show attention to detail and passion in the work you produce. A solid understanding of graphic/visual design is advantageous.
- Estimates individual schedule(s) (e.g., time requirements) for work delivery.
- Defines needs of product designs as the owner for a set of experiences/products based on multiple factors such as user insights and business needs.
- Identifies needs that are not spoken and includes them in end-to-end design plan and process.
- Begins to develop a synthesis of user insights and compares with data to identify larger issues that may not be apparent for user desires.
- Collaborates with product owners and development team members to shepherd end-to-end experiences from concept to ship for products.
- Generates ideation solutions to improve product designs.
- Utilizes a variety of perspectives when ideating (e.g., business, experience, technology).
- Synthesizes ideation solutions into a concise articulation of user wants and subsequent solutions.
- Facilitates enrollment for an ideation exercise as part of a design sprint.
- Prototypes for new products and features as cheap and as fast as possible.
- Presents to teams (e.g., Design and Engineering) and/or customers to receive feedback and understand user needs.
- Uses digital and physical tools to demonstrate design to stakeholders and then gauge customer perceptions and decides on next steps.
- Leverages prototyping elements in accordance with company's brand and guidelines and identifies missing elements.
- Invents/improves guidelines when existing guidelines are unclear.
- Advocates for best in class tools.
- Collaborates with and answers questions from Engineering to aid in successful design implementation, and performs QAs to help them ensure "pixel perfect" or detailed designs.
- Works with developers to iterate further on designs during implementation to ensure optimal designs.
- Develops an aptitude on limitations of what is implementable, and begins to challenge limitations.
- Produces visual designs from concept to delivery. Facilitates the creative visual design process producing the visual language for a cohesive set of products.
- Creates a variety of visual design documents including mood boards, storyboards, creative briefs, 3D models, product renderings/visualizations, color and materials design, motion studies, iconography, illustrations, layouts, and redlines for a set of products, tools, and services.
- Creates wireframes, journey maps, user jobs and scenarios, task flows, and personas in support of interaction designs for hardware and/or software-based experiences.
- Conceptualizes and delivers artifacts at various levels of fidelity.
- Participates in the development and enhancement of product user experiences via creation of interaction models and detailed designs for new and existing product features while serving as a liaison between users and products.
- Ensures that the designs of the products allow the user to complete the desired functions in the best possible manner.
- Uses a prescribed design system (e.g., content templates, icons, form design, UI controls, navigation models, design trends).
- Shares learnings and collaborates with other designers to share education for team improvements.
Communication and Collaboration
- Conveys work to peers and managers within their studio team(s) so that the audience understands.
- Sets context for stakeholders.
- Helps organize communication with cross-disciplinary teams inside and across through all stages of design and development.
- Owns communication for what one is doing in a proactive way.
- Identifies which mode of communication should be used.
- Manages tonality, being respectful, inclusive, etc.
- Communicates for a project.
- Recognizes and communicates the user needs to team members and recommends ideas to create a compelling narrative for the product.
- Explores new and interesting ways of telling stories (e.g., video illustrations, sound).
- Facilitates fundamental tasks on projects with creative team members, program managers, and developers (e.g., the triad/quad) to define and iterate on new and existing product features.
- Participates on one or more studies at a time and collaborates, creates, and helps the team deliver product design results.
- Influences team members in support of product design impact.
- Leverages the work of others. Contributes to the success of others.
- Influences both designer and non-designer collaborators.
- Leads interns and/or vendors to create clarity for others.
- Participates in interviews.
- Embody our culture and values
- Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Human Computer Interaction, or related field AND 3+ years experience working in product or service design OR equivalent experience (e.g., experience using design thinking to solve problems).
- Additional Or Preferred Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Human Computer Interaction, or related field AND 5+ years experience working in product or service design OR Master's Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Human Computer Interaction, or related field AND 3+ years experience working in product or service designOR equivalent experience (e.g., experience using design thinking to solve problems).2+ years experience shipping games or products and/or delivering to customers as a result of an end-to-end design process.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Agile Methodologies
- Competitor Intelligence
- Conflict Resolution
- Cross-team Communication
- Decision Making
- Design Tools
- Graphic Design
- Industry Trends and Emerging Industry Solutions
- Influence Others
- Interaction Design
- Market Knowledge
- Narrative Storytelling
- Oral Communication
- Problem Solving
- Product Design
- Product Development
- Programming Languages
- Quality Assurance
- Software Coding
- Systems Thinking
- Technical Design
- User Interface Design
- User-centered Design
- Visual Storytelling
- Written Communication
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.