About The Team
Product Design at Gusto is made up of over 45 creative, collaborative, people who care deeply about our mission to empower small businesses and their employees. We’re a cross-functional bunch focused on design, research, and writing who are always looking for opportunities to build understanding and empathy for the people who use Gusto. We don’t care a whole lot about swim lanes and we work closely with our partners in product, engineering, data, and marketing. We are passionate advocates for thoughtful, crafted, and inclusive experiences and we believe great design can make hard things possible, even delightful.
About The Company
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. Every touchpoint a business has with their employees offers an opportunity for meaningful connection, from payroll and health insurance, to onboarding and team management. We believe that work can empower a better life and that small businesses are the backbone of the economy. Gusto’s team is distributed with home bases in San Francisco, Denver, and New York, and with many people working remotely across the US and Canada. We serve over 100,000 businesses and over a million of their employees. Read more about what it’s like to work at Gusto on our careers page.
About The Opportunity
If you are a high contributor to Design Systems who thrives on making major business impact at a high-growth company, we would love to hear from you!
Here’s What You’ll Do Day-to-day
- Define and standardize reusable design patterns and components.
- Partner with design, engineering, brand, and research to establish, build, and maintain a comprehensive library of shared components, using a modular approach to front-end development.
- Set up knowledge-sharing processes that promote collaboration, pairing, and training.
- Develop and maintain clear documentation of Gusto product philosophy and principles as it relates to patterns and components.
- Utilize research methods to assess the efficacy of the system and understand customer needs.
- Track the effectiveness and adoption of the Design System as a tool across teams and disciplines.
- Advocate for accessibility standards and inclusive design principles.
Here’s What We're Looking For
- 6+ years experience in product design, including experience building and evolving an effective design system (please link a personal website or portfolio).
- Experience building design systems.
- Exceptional interaction and visual design skills, with expert command of information design, visual hierarchy, layout, typography, color theory, and brand systems.
- Familiarity of platform conventions on Web, iOS, and Android as well as an understanding of when to break them.
- Genuine empathy for small business owners and employees and use of research to inform design solutions.
- A drive for technical, scalable, and user-centric models of building things.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- A strong emphasis on collaboration and feedback as a driver of success in their product design process.
- An excellent communicator and influencer who can work well with various groups and levels of the organization.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, with an entrepreneurial ownership mentality.
- Humble spirit.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $147,000/yr - $174,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, and $178,000/yr - $212,000/yr for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.