Full Time | Canada, North America
Did you know that 30-40% of the food that is produced around the world ends up in landfills?
Who We Are:
At Flashfood, we are on a mission to reduce the environmental impact of food waste and affordably feed people. We are tackling this gigantic problem together, with a team that believes in authenticity, perseverance, and humility.
Flashfood is a mobile platform connecting surplus food directly to its users at massive discounts to reduce food waste. Users see deals on surplus food on the Flashfood app, pay through their phone and pick it up in the store. We are currently partnered with Loblaw in Canada and actively building new grocery partnerships in the U.S.
Our team comes from a variety of different industries and backgrounds such as management consulting, finance, and emerging technology, however, we decided it was time to do something different - something that would create a better world for future generations!
Our casual and collaborative culture makes us who we are. We have a passion for supporting our community and that starts with our ability to empower our people. We are ambitious and hard-working and are extremely proud of the culture we have created. We communicate openly and are not afraid to push boundaries. We are a small but mighty team of 60+ where your influence will be felt Flashfood-wide.
The Design Team
At Flashfood, product designers report directly to the CPO, a manager who has a track record of supporting and scaling cross-functional design teams. We’re a small, talented team in the midst of building the design practice. You’ll have an opportunity to work on defining and designing the user experience of highly impactful mobile B2B and B2C products that directly helps reduce food waste by feeding families affordably and empowering store employees to post. These are valuable Flashfood products that will have a massive impact across our company.
Who You Are:
- A product designer who is excited to solve complex problems using mobile technologies and understands the power and constraints of mobile design: iOS and Android native
- At least 2+ years of experience designing at consumer or B2C-focused and/or B2B-focused tech companies or agencies; delivering design as a product designer, UX/UI designer, information architect, interaction designer or similar.
- A curious person who isn’t afraid to ask questions and dig deeper for insights; You have a demonstrated understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during the product development process
- You believe that understanding both the needs of our customers and our business goals are indispensable inputs for good product design
- A systems-thinker who loves to create simple, elegant, scalable experiences for complex products
- An excellent teammate, communicator, and facilitator with the ability to scope and structure product design projects involving multiple cross-functional teams
- A self-motivated individual who is excited to bring clarity to ambiguity and help define new product lines
- A passion for using beautiful UI design to strategically enhance the user experience of tools that are indispensable to your user’s day-to-day workflow
- An understanding of how to use modern UX and UI tools to design and foster collaboration (Figma is a must).
What You Will Do:
- Work with cross-functional teams (developers, product managers, fellow designers, stakeholders) to design experiences that allow our external users to take desired actions
- Apply strategic thinking to visualize ideas and concepts and communicate them effectively and compellingly for internal stakeholders, partners and customers.
- Set the vision and strategy for the design system and overall user experience on all of our web products.
- Build positive, collaborative relationships with product management, development, marketing, and the broader design team, as well as continuously "raising the bar" as an effective leader of positive change
- Being an active teammate to other designers, and participating in critiques, design reviews, and quarterly planning
- Inform and influence product decisions with exceptional insights about people, technology and business decisions
- Help build on the product design practice at Flashfood and set up best practices and help improve processes
- Design, plan and conduct user research, employing methods such as: remote usability tests (moderated and unmoderated), concept tests, user interviews, field and diary studies, competitive evaluations, surveys, and other relevant methodologies
- Manage your own time and understand how your work ladders up into strategic and commercial priorities
- Execute and design exceptional user experiences with scalable UI design systems in mind
What You Need to Apply:
Along with your resume, send us a link to your portfolio or a PDF with 2-3 case studies that demonstrate your design process on shipped products, the impact of your work, and how you collaborate with teammates.
Please be sure to provide any necessary passwords, we cannot advance your application without them.
- Competitive base salary
- Company-wide bonus
- Casual and remote-friendly work environment
- Flexible working hours
- Variety of virtual events all year round
- Professional development opportunities - $1,000/year
- Work from Home subsidy
- Paid time off for volunteering
- Monthly Flashfood credits
- Extra-long weekends April to September
Flashfood is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an accessible recruitment process. Please advise should you need any accommodation throughout the recruitment process. All your information will be treated confidentially.