Do you want to help us reinvent how people access the City’s digital services? The City of Mississauga has an opportunity for a UX Designer who wants to make a big impact on the way we deliver value for citizens.
Successful incumbent in this position will be working in a hybrid work environment with both in person and remote working models depending on business operation needs.
About The Team
The Digital Team is working with people across our organization to make the City’s digital services and information simpler, clearer and faster for citizens and businesses. We’re all about focusing on the customer, designing with evidence, and measuring our results. We’re a multidisciplinary team of developers, designers, content writers, and strategists who are passionate about creating a great customer experience.
- You are passionate about creating simple, accessible digital experiences that are easy to use
- You have a positive and resilient personality
- You are comfortable working in a self-guided manner, and can prioritize tasks and manage your own time efficiently
- You are an influencer, creator and leader who is flexible, curious, and versatile
- You are ready to roll up your sleeves and work in a productive and agile way to get things done
You will help solve complex problems by translating user needs into simple, elegant digital solutions. You’ll work with people in many different roles, from other designers, to developers to stakeholders.
What You Will Do
- Design online experiences for complex applications and websites using a user-centered, evidence-based approach
- Lead the full design process for complex informational and transactional applications including ecommerce
- Work within and contribute to the City of Mississauga's design system
- Conduct research using user interviews, usability testing, task analysis, persona development, analytics, and other customer inputs
- Facilitate and lead meetings and product design workshops with large groups
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills needed to drive the design and experience of products
- Take a product from an initial concept through to final high-fidelity responsive designs ready for hand-off to developers
- Work with other UX designers to integrate corporate design standards into products
- Communicate the intended user experience with user stories, wireframes, storyboards, taxonomies, sketches, prototypes, and mock-ups
- Create GUIs, layouts, templates, landing pages, navigation, and any necessary design artifacts to maximize simplicity, style, and usability
- Apply rigorous detail to finalize styles and design details to create high-fidelity digital products that are ready for release to customers
Skills And Qualifications
- University or College graduate in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, UX, or related discipline or demonstrate years of professional work experience as a UX Designer
- Expert level abilities with design and UX software such as Adobe XD and Figma
- Minimum 5 years of full-time work in UX design or product design in a professional setting. Student projects will not be accepted
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of user-centered design, user testing methodologies, usability, and accessibility standards and practices (WCAG 2.0, 2.1)
The Following Skills And Experience Are An Asset
- Experience working on an Agile team
- Experience working in Government
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 72,088.00 - $ 96,120.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section: CPS/Corporate Services Dept , CPS/Corporate Business Services Division , Digital Strategy & Experience
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
COVID-19 Update: As per the City’s Employee and Volunteer COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day.
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.