Staff Product Designer
Canada Tier 1 Locations: $104,000 CAD - $153,000 CAD
Canada Tier 2 Locations: $94,000 CAD - $138,000 CAD
To learn more about our Hiring Range System, please click this link.We're looking for a thoughtful and capable Staff Product/UX Designer to help us explore new and emerging product domains, shape innovation strategy, and design experiences for the next offering from Mozilla. This position plays a central role in Mozilla’s exploratory approach to innovation by allowing diverse audiences—from internal partners and community members to collaborators and end-users—to experience what’s next and providing design and strategy expertise to cross-functional teams working on innovation.This Role Is Right For You If
- You don’t fit squarely in a box of being a UX designer—you're a researcher, innovator, explorer, and so much more!
- You have a desire to engage in creative problem-solving within open-ended and ambiguous domains, and can distill and communicate sophisticated ideas textually, visually, and interactively
- You get excited about challenges related to the openness, health, and accessibility of the Internet, and ensure the safety, privacy, and well-being of the people using it.
- You thrive in environments that allow you to both contribute and grow your design abilities, as well as engage in organizational and innovation strategy.
- You work well independently to scope, prioritize, and implement cross-functional design projects, as well as work well on a team collaborating on ideas, giving and accepting feedback, and aligning to team and organizational goals.
Given the design and interactive nature of this work, you should have experience or eagerness to work remotely across time zones on design and creative activities.Beyond Crafting Human-centered Experiences, You Will
- Scope research, develop testable prototypes, and visualize ideas;
- Drive insight generation and conceptualization sessions, and lead alignment efforts across teams.
- Refine value propositions and product strategy, and identify new opportunity spaces for growth and exploration
If you are driven by helping people, problem-solving, working in an organization that allows you to develop your human-centered design skills, while supporting a mission that is driven to ensure the Internet is a global public resource open and accessible, then this is the right position for you! Additionally, this job is for you if you consider yourself a creative worker, a forward-thinking and open problem solver, and passionate about working toward just and equitable solutions for varied communities.Day to day you will...
- Lead design work to develop new opportunities and offerings on a cross-functional team
- Champion collaboration and communication amongst partners through workshops and sprints
- Act as a key interface amongst customers and the wider organization to coordinate activities with partners and other business units
- Leverage insights and recommendations from people experience research to discover opportunities that focus on existing and new opportunity spaces
- Work with a multidisciplinary team to articulate value propositions, product usages, opportunity spaces, and design strategy
- Narrow down the opportunity space via testing with lead researchers and through prototypes with creative technologists
- Make data-grounded go/no-go recommendations alongside risk analysis, prioritizations and contingency plans
- Advocate for people-centric standard methodologies and products
Your professional profile
- 5-7 years of professional product design experience
- You have a creative edge and a portfolio with examples of your work
- Design Systems experience/ability to follow design systems
- Generate creative design ideas within a collaborative and fast paced environment
- Self-starter who thrives on responsibility and accountability
- Flexible, efficient, and comfortable with ambiguity and able to move quickly from planning to execution
- Passionate about ethical and people-centered design and commitment to increasing access, diversity, and inclusion on the internet through the technologies and techniques used
- Comfort generating ideas within a collaborative team, and open-minded to new approaches, techniques, and avenues of exploration
- Familiar with trends in relation to new and emerging technology and industry standards in relation to prototyping
- Experience working closely with communities and involving people in product design and development in a participatory fashion
- Experience with developing and implementing product strategy
- Working with historically under-invested communities, especially communities in the global South
- Proficiency or fluency in languages other than English (especially Spanish, Mandarin, Portuguese or Arabic)
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.Group: CReq ID: R1967