Senior Product Designer (Teams)
We're looking for a well-rounded Senior Product Designer to join us in defining and designing compelling experiences that empower people to achieve more together. You will shape the direction of the core communication and collaboration experiences for Microsoft Teams, the chat-based collaboration app that is changing how people work together.
Our design team is a highly collaborative group of user researchers, engineers, and product designers. We value creativity, open idea sharing, and having fun while we work. Most of all, we’re motivated by our millions of users, and we want them to love our products.
In this role, you'll help to conceptualize the big picture as well as drive detailed design development for collaboration and communications user experiences. You should have a proven record of innovative thinking, a history of using design to drive new ideas, and the ability to help others to make the right design decisions. You'll work directly with other design teams inside of Microsoft to drive shared experiences inside and outside of the Teams app, as well as improve the general craftsmanship of the product in a tactical way across mobile and desktop.
- Own product design exerpeices end-to-end; partner closely with developers to implement high-quality, well-crafted, design-led initiatives.
- Contribute to and begin to mentor team members and provide feedback on the design thinking and ways to frame the problem space to elicit provocative discussions and paths forward; set the appropriate context for a given problem space, whether it is critical data on the competitive landscape, user quotes, market opportunities or pressures, and articulate what success means, before addressing potential solutions.
- Align stakeholders at every phase of the project; communicate and set a cadence to be syncing with critical stakeholders, while simultaneously helping the team to not overextend; work practically with others and identify how to get the most out of someone, and have fun driving the project together as a team.
- Interact with engineering for successful design implementation and perform QAs to help them ensure delivery of design POR.
- Demonstrate ability to challenge limitations, negotiate with Engineering, adjust Engineering schedules, find alternatives, and make cases for designs to be implemented a certain way.
- Generate and help lead ideation solutions for complex design problems (e.g. involving many constraints, needing workarounds, requiring holistic view of interconnected systems) to deliver sophisticated and elegant product design solutions.
- Utilize a variety of perspectives when ideating (e.g. experience, technology, user research, business); synthesize complex ideation solutions to concise articulation of user wants and subsequent solutions.
- Advocate for your design solutions by putting audience in context of business and user goals.
- Be self-directed and highly organized; motivated and driven to get the details right.
- Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Human Computer Interaction, or related field AND 3+ years experience working in product or service design
- OR Master's Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Human Computer Interaction, or related field AND 4+ years' experience working in product or service design
- OR equivalent experience (e.g., experience using design thinking to solve problems)
- An up-to-date portfolio of UX/product design work samples
- Ability to articulate your design thinking using a variety of mediums (e.g. design mocks, interaction flows, detailed prototypes, and specifications), as well as the customer value
- Software design experience
- Graphic/visual design experience
- Proficient in Figma
- Cross-team communication, presentation, persuasion, negotiation skills to get buy-in on your design
- Experience working directly with users (running studies, or collaborating with a researcher)
- Mobile design experience
- Ability to prototype
- History of working with engineers to implement and test solutions
- Ability to breakdown a design vision into a phased plan to implement
- Experience working with and presenting to executives/senior stakeholders
Microsoft Design on Instagram
Teams Design on YouTube
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.