Senior User Researcher
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in the heart of downtown Toronto with offices in Toronto, Canada and Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
Who’ll You Be Joining:
You will be joining as an integral member of the Research and Consumer Insights team and work directly with other researchers, product managers, and designers to uncover user needs across each phase of the product development and design process, and most importantly, inform stakeholders on how to build world-class experiences for our customers. You love tough research questions and champion research-informed solutions.
You have a strong sense of curiosity and can take initiative to carve out your path by constantly learning and growing. Nothing escapes your keen eye for observation or a wide array of various research methods and tools. Your practiced curiosity means you know what questions to ask, and the best way to ask them—helping us understand the experiences, context, motivations, and behaviours that navigate our users through the world of smart home technology.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Responsible for autonomously designing, conducting, and synthesizing research to uncover user needs, behaviours, and motivations
- Use a wide range of research methods including ethnography/field research, in-person and remote usability testing, participatory design, user interviews, concept testing, diary studies, and surveys
- Take the initiative to identify and explore new opportunities to help define product roadmaps, vision, and strategy, including foundational, formative, generative, and evaluative research
- Communicate and deliver meaningful user insights in creative and compelling ways to a variety of audiences, such as design teams, product teams, marketing teams and executive teams
- Lead empathy and design-thinking workshops with cross-functional teams to ensure that research findings are translated into actionable product goals
- Evangelize the research across the company by helping build our core user research and insights capabilities
- Ability to support and mentor other members of the team
What You'll Bring to the Table:
- 4-5 years of professional experience as a user researcher, and previous experience in start-up/scale-up settings or technology companies, preferably in a consumer electronics and services organization
- A Bachelor's or Master’s degree in one of the following programs or equivalent: Human-Computer Interaction, UX Design or Research, Inclusive Design, Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology, Industrial Design
- Demonstrable experience planning and conducting a wide range of qualitative and quantitative research methods, including recruiting end-users
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to articulate findings and help shape product direction within the organization
- You have a proven track record of research experience in which you independently run projects using various methods (qualitative & quantitative), including mixed methods
- You have a strong understanding of various methods, their strengths and shortcomings and know when and how to apply them to different research types
- You can use a variety of platforms and find innovative ways to recruit, program/execute, analyze/synthesize research
- You can use the research to clearly, concisely, and persuasively present to cross-functional teams and leadership
- You have experience implementing research programs with a lasting impact
- You are curious and creative in how you tackle complex issues and problem solve
- You are passionate about creating products that people love and love using
- You believe that we can inspire change through empathy
- You bring integrity into all levels of your work and feel comfortable having to deliver hard truths to various stakeholders
- You are interested in working in a wide variety of products/services like mobile apps, smart home devices, and smart ecosystems
What happens after you apply:
Application review. It will happen. By an actual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ applications for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
- A 30-minute phone call with a member of Talent Acquisition
- A 1 hour virtual interview with the Hiring Manager and the Research team – expect technical, behavioural, and situational questions
- If your interviews go well, you can expect a take-home case study, which you get a week to work on – you will then present your solution to a cross-functional group of stakeholders in a virtual setting during the 1.5 hour final interview
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make an environmental difference: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, grow with our quarterly hackathons, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of office, hybrid or fully remote work. It is our top priority to keep employees safe. As we continue to take measures to keep employees safe in our offices, we have adopted a mandatory vaccine policy to be present in the physical Toronto office or other ecobee sponsored events in Ontario as of November 1, 2021. As such, to be in our office, it is required to acknowledge a formal attestation and submit accompanying proof of vaccination status. For the foreseeable future, we will be conducting our interviews and onboarding sessions through video. New team members will also be starting remotely, with all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Discover our products and services and learn more about who we are.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.