Head of UX & Design
Who we are
Sendwave is on a mission to make sending funds to loved ones as easy and affordable as sending a text. What makes us stand out in a sea of similar apps? We deeply care about the diasporas and communities we serve — and that comes with a sense of connection to the markets we operate in. We strive to make life better for everyone who touches our product. That means recognizing and honoring the human experience behind sending money. We do that by remaining fee-free in most of our markets and offering round-the-clock customer care.
Our app is currently available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and parts of Europe, and sends funds to 19 receiving countries for over 500,000 users. We currently have a 4.6-star rating on Trustpilot — people put their faith in us to deliver their money quickly, securely, and affordably. And we’re pretty darn proud of that.
How we work
What we’re most proud of though is our brilliant, creative, and tenacious team. Our remote-first workplace means you’ll be working with Sendwavers in Europe, Africa, South America, and the U.S. that all share a core set of Sendwave values. What exactly are those values? Glad you asked.
- Prioritize fearlessly.
There will always be more problems to solve and opportunities to pursue than we have the capacity for. We’re not afraid to say no and are willing to let fires burn, knowing that to win we must discern and execute decisively on the vital few rather than the important many.
- Take full ownership of the outcomes we’re responsible for. Our job is not to do what we can to solve a problem. It's to ensure that problem is solved. If an attempt to solve a problem doesn't work, we seek an alternative. If we need help, we request it, and, if necessary, demand it.
- Forge a diverse team and inclusive culture. We believe the challenges we’re addressing will be best met by a truly global, diverse team, working together. We’re not naive to the systemic bias and discrimination that make this easier said than done, so we check our egos, listen deeply, and measure progress towards making this a fundamental part of our success.
- Maximize our rate of learning. We view projects as ever-evolving drafts and welcome opportunities to discover that what we had in mind won't work so we can move to an even better end state. Most importantly, we do this fast. The faster we run these loops — as a company and individuals — the faster we’ll achieve our mission.
- Embrace embarrassing honesty from ourselves and others. We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts. We lean into uncomfortable conversations and support our colleagues when they do the same.
- Maximize energy, not time spent. We measure our own and others’ contributions by objectives reached, not time spent. Living a full life outside of work is necessary for high achievement over the long term.
We’re searching for a seasoned designer, as eager to roll up their sleeves and iterate on a wireframe as they are to mentor colleagues and set design norms. You’ll lead a team of six designers spread across three products - two leading remittance brands, WorldRemit and Sendwave, and one nascent neobank for migrants, Sendwave Pay.
This is not a pure management role. The design team is relatively senior and already works autonomously today. Rather, we’re hiring a Head of Design to help our current designers grow and to help us tackle the thorniest design and UX challenges we face. If helping good designers become great and talking to users and solving their problems gets you out of bed better than (ok, as well as) a cup of coffee, we might just be the fit for you otherwise if you are into building a lot of processes, this role MAY NOT set you up for success.
Your key areas of focus :
- Mentorship and up-levelling of existing embedded design team
- Development of lightweight processes and design standards to ensure some level of consistency as we grow
- Individual contribution to our brands’ toughest problems, including lots of looking at data and talking to the immigrant users we serve
- Collaborate with product leadership in scoping out new service offerings to migrant communities
What you bring to the table:
- Impeccable design skills and ample user empathy/listening skills
- Experience mentoring designers
- Previous owner of a mobile app design or of a significant feature set at a leading mobile app
- User obsessiveness
Bonus points if you:
- Are proficient in any of the languages our users speak
- Experience leading a design team
- Are a self-starter, take initiative, and require little day-to-day direction to be successful
- Are familiar with any of the communities we serve
- Competitive Compensation
- Location: Team Zepz is fully remote, and one of our brands (Sendwave) has been since its founding. We hire new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Recruiting team can help answer any questions about location as we move further into recruiting process.
And best of all:
- Our team of over 400 employees is fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, band members, yoga teachers, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
- We recently joined forces with WorldRemit, another remittance company. We’re excited about the ways we can collaborate and continue to provide the best service to our users.
Ready to apply?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up every day.